Thursday, August 28, 2008

I recently switched jobs. How can I? -

I recently switched jobs. I went to orientation at my new job on a Monday. They gave me a form to fill out if I wanted my new health insurance to begin that day (I had the same insurance company at my old job). I called my insurance provider to find out if I was covered through the end of the month from my old job, and they told me I was, so I didn't fill out the form. The next morning, I had to go to the ER. 3 months after this incident, I got a bill from the ER for $100, my ER copay. A month later, I got rebilled for the entire ER visit ($1,000). Turns out I wasn't covered for the rest of the month like the insurance company told me when I called. My old company paid my policy weekly, so my insurance ran out that Sunday. But the cust service person told me I was covered through the end of that month. My new employer can't change my policy start date, my old employer can't legally change my end date, COBRA is not an option since this happened 3 months ago. But I was only billed now! ? You may have done it already but call the insurance company back and ask to speak to a supervisor. Explain to them that you called prior to services being rendered and were told that you'd be covered through the end of the month. It would be helpful if you could remember the date and approximate time you called as well as the name of the rep you spoke to. A lot of companies will reverse a decision like this is you were given bad info by one of their reps prior to the services taking place, the industry term is detrimental reliance. A lot of them also record phone calls so they can check on these kinds of things. They might make you submit a written appeal, just talk to a supervisor to get the specifics. You were told wrong by their rep and you shouldn't have to pay, don't give up. speak to the benefits person at your old company. I spent the last month of my employment at my old company on vacation, and had Sunlife reject my prescription drugs. The former employers HR dept fought the drug company and I eventually got my money. Be prepared to wait a long time. The insurance companies hire people who don't fully understand english to process claims (it helps keep claim ratios low) I have learned from bitter experience that what people "tell" you doesn't mean a thing, right or wrong. Its whats in writing that counts. Yes, you have to appeal the denial in writing. Make sure you state that you did call first, and were advised by them that the coverage was still in effect, and would be until the end of that month. I have seen larger claims than that paid because someone told you that you had coverage. It's unfortunate that you don't have documentation to that fact, but, hindsight IS 20/20. I'd call your OLD company and see what they say. GOod luck!

No comments:

 
breast-cancer diabetes-informa... weight-losse lung-mesotheliom... eating-disorders medical-billing php-and-mysql skin-cancer medical-health astronomy-guide cancer-diseases health insurance seo-news-2008 forex3003 lawyer-lookingforalawyer earnmoneyonline-earn forexautotrading-forex forex-trade forextrading forex-trading-forex-trading-08 searchingforcancertreatment adsense jiankang8008 beauty-girl forex5005